Do I need a Bulgarian visa?
Bulgaria has treaties with many countries, which treaties allow visa-free visits. If you are not sure do you need a visa to enter Bulgaria you can check here.
If you hold a Schengen visa you won't need to apply for Bulgarian visa - you will have the right to enter and reside in the Republic of Bulgaria for a period of no more than three months in any six-month period from the date of the first entry, without needing to have a Bulgarian short-stay visa.
I need visa. What should I do?
Register for Semio2014 and pay the registration fee. When we have a confirmation for your successful payment we will be able to assist you getting a Bulgarian visa:
- we will send you an official letter of confirmation which you need for applying;
- we will send an official list of participants to Bulgaria's Ministry of Foreign Affair, which list will include names and home contries
Paying the registration fee is only way we can prove to Bulgarian Foreign Affairs Office your visit is legitimate.
If you are from Africa we will assist you without having a confirmed payment. In this case we might need you to provide additional documents and confirmation from some of our trusted academic partners in Africa for your actual involvment with semiotics. Every case is unique and will be faced with personal attention and all details will be discussed with you personally.
What visa do I need?
To attend Semio2014 you need a Short-stay visa (Type C) which allows you to visit Bulgaria (only!) for up to 90 days. The Consulate officer is in charge to decide the duration of stay which the visa will allow!
How do I get Bulgarian visa?
Bulgarian visas are issued by a Bulgarian Consulate Offices. Here you can find a full list of all Bulgarian Embassies and Consulates.
You will need to submit the following documents:
1. a regular travel document (passport):
- validity of which expires at least 3 months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- contains at least 2 blank pages for visa purposes;
- has been issued within the last 10 years.
2. a photocopy of the first page of the foreign travel document (the photo page of your passport);
3. a filled in application form with one passport size color photograph (3,5 х 4,5) (You can get the application form from the Embassy/Consulate as well);
4. a recent colored passport sized photo;
5. documents substantiating the visa request as well as copies thereof (Letter of Confirmation/Acceptance/Invitation you have recieved from Semio2014 team);
6. proof of the possession of the required financial resources for subsistence amount to a minimum of EUR 50 per day of the stay requested with the visa application or their equivalent in another convertible currency but at least EUR 500 or their equivalent in another convertible currency, or a document of prepaid tourist services;
7. documents certifying the possession of the required financial resources for accommodation but at least EUR 50 per day of the stay requested with the visa application or their equivalent in another convertible currency, or a document for prepaid accommodation in a tourist accommodation facility (hotel, hostel, etc.);
8. documents certifying the possession of the required financial resources to leave the country or a ticket (e.g. two-way airplane ticket); if the person has entered the country by self driven motor vehicle – resources amounting to at least EUR 100 or their equivalent in another convertible currency;
9. an insurance policy and a copy thereof issued by an insurance company licensed to operate on the territory of the European Union with a minimum amount of the cover EUR 30 000. The policy should cover all expenses for repatriation as well as for emergency medical aid and hospital treatment for the period of the stay. Applicants for multiple visa for a short-stay shall present an insurance policy only for the period of the first intended visit.
Please inform us via e-mail in which embassy when you submit your application for the visa!
My visa application was rejected. What should I do?
For those who have paid and have not been able to obtain a visa there will be a 100% refund irrespective of how close to the opening of the congress you have to make your cancellation.
For assistance for all visa questions please contact Mrs. Tsvetana Vasileva (email@example.com)