New Bulgarian University
New Bulgarian University was given the status of a higher education institution by a Decision of the Seventh Grand National Assembly of September 18, 1991 (State Gazette No 80, 1991). The new institution was determined to work for the modernization of Bulgarian higher education in dialogue with traditions. NBU has an academic accreditation from the National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation.
• NBU was the first higher education institution to introduce and develop in Bulgaria:
– education in programs leading to the educational degrees of Bachelor, Master and Doctor;
– credit system as a measure of workload of students;
– broad basic education and interdisciplinary programs;
– distance learning;
– continuing education;
– a new type of admission campaign and entrance examination (General Education Test).
• New Bulgarian University offers its students:
– a democratic system of education with opportunities to choose;
– friendly and cooperative communication between faculty and students;
– availability of academic and social scholarships;
– internal and external mobility – transfer within NBU programs and studying abroad;
– opportunities for a well-grounded choice through the identification of professional orientation in the course of studies.
• To be an educational institution oriented to give its students autonomy towards building up the sense of entrepreneurship and responsibility.
• To be a place for those socially motivated in order to get ready to live in democracy, in a society of citizens, under the condition of market relations, integrated in Europe and the world.
• To be liberal academic institution, based on the relationship between education, research and enterprise.
• To provide interdisciplinary general and specialized education based on research and practice connection.
NBU determinates its academic profile on Sciences of man and society, Natural sciences and new technologies and Arts.
The educational philosophy of NBU is based on the liberal idea of education, relating the acquisition of knowledge and professional specialization to the general spiritual development.
As a result of extensive contracts with foreign academic institutions, NBU has developed a wide range of joint programs and courses, including exchange projects for students and scholars.
• NBU is a full member of Francophone University Agency AUF. A Francophone Unit has been established within the University offering a BA Program in Political Sciences taught in French. Membership in AUF enables students and lecturers to attend numerous academic events organized by this network as well as to improve their qualification.
• NBU is an active player in the EU programs. Through projects funded by LIFE LONG LEARNING Program (Erasmus, Leonardo da Vinci, Grundtvig, Comenius, Jean Monnet), TEMPUS IV, ERASMUSMUNDUS, FRANCOPHONE UNIVERSITY AGENCY, CEEPUS, etc. we have developed contacts with more than 90 European universities.
• HESP /Higher Education Support Program/ gives NBU the opportunity to participate in establishing an inter-university network for Central and East European countries and the former Soviet Republics. It helps NBU to conduct various educational and scientific activities such as joint projects, exchange of students, lecturers and administration staff; provision of scholarships.
• Departments of NBU are members of a number of international organizations: the International Association for Semiotic Studies (IASS/AIS), the Network of Institutes and Schools on Public Administration in Central and Eastern Europe (NISPAcee), Regional Study Association (RSA), European Consortium for Political Studies, the Informal European Theatre Meeting (IETM), the European League of Institutes of Arts (ELIA), etc.
• NBU has introduced the practice of establishing international Advisory Boards. These boards review NBU programs and ensure their international recognition. Members of these committees are Bulgarian and foreign scholars, who teach at NBU, deliver seminars and create opportunities for internship abroad.
• Since 2000 NBU has started campaigns for the recruitment of international students. More than 100 students are admitted each year for undergraduate and graduate studies. We are supported by our official Representatives in Turkey, Israel, India, China, Cyprus etc.
Departments and Research
The Departments bring together scholars in a specific field. They are the cross-roads of research activities in the University; creating original programs and courses; experimenting with new educational methods; launching research projects; organizing conferences and seminars; communicating with national and international education institutions; developing international projects. One of the NBU research policy priorities is to establish NBU as an international research center and integrate it into international university networks. Specialized research laboratories and studios provide support to faculty members in developing competitive and important projects. Over the last years NBU has won many international projects including projects financed under, EU Sixth Framework Program, EU Seventh Framework Program, NATO Science Program, European Science Foundation, Open Society Institute, Research Programme of GDN, USA etc. NBU aims to integrate its research and educational activities and to develop research skills in its students, through participating in the research work conducted by faculty members.